HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE MECHANISM OF ACTION by Dr. Renu Rajput Barigal
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE MECHANISM OF ACTION
Homeopathy (from the Greek words Homeo meaning similar and pathos meaning suffering) is a scientific system of medicine developed by Samuel Hahnemann in the late 1700s.
It Is Fundamentally Based On These Three Laws
LIKE CURES LIKE
An example to explain this law is when you cut an onion it can cause your nose to run and tears stream from your eyes much like you might get when suffering from hay fever. In highly diluted homeopathic doses, the onion (Allium cepa) can, perhaps surprisingly, be used to cure these hay fever-like symptoms.
Another example of this is if you have a cold and the symptoms of your cold are similar to poisoning by mercury (although probably a lot less dramatic!), then mercury would be your homeopathic remedy.
The theory that like can be treated with like can be traced back as far as Hypocrites (468 -377 BC), but it wasn’t until the work of Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843) that the theory developed into a usable practice.
HOMEOPATHY MEDICINE MODE OF ACTION
Homeopathy is one of the most popular systems of medicine in the World (together with conventional medicine and Acupuncture). Its popularity has increased exponentially over the last 15-20 years.
Its Success Is Due To Various Factors
- Homeopathy is extremely effective. When the correct remedy is given cure can be rapid, complete, and permanent.
- It is safe! Homeopathy is brilliant for pregnant women and babies to use and due to its high dilution, results with no side-effects.
- Homeopathy integrates with conventional medicine and does not interfere with the medication you might be taking. In fact, homeopathic treatment will build up your body’s strength so that the dosage of your medication may be reduced or stopped altogether (this should always be done in collaboration with your General Practitioner).
- Homeopathy works in harmony with your immune system, unlike conventional medicine, which often suppresses the immune system (e.g. Cough syrups suppress the immune system’s cough reflex which is the body’s natural defense mechanism against mucous build-up in the lungs!)
- Remedies are not addictive. You will never need to take any remedy on an ongoing basis – once relief is felt the treatment should be stopped.
- Homeopathy is holistic – this means that all symptoms are treated as one. In other words, homeopathy treats the cause rather than the symptoms. If the cause of the illness is removed, the symptoms will not recur.
Remedies are made by a series of dilutions and successions (vigorous shaking) of the active substance. The remedy can be diluted to as much as 1-part remedy to 1,000,000,000,000(one trillion) parts of water.
For example, take a 2-liter bottle of homeopathic medicine, empty it into the Atlantic Ocean, stir, and take one teaspoonful. That dose and doses far more dilute-can and do heal! The higher the potency, the more the remedy has been diluted.
The doses used in homeopathy are so small that they cannot be acting directly on the physical body.
They act dynamically enabling the body to restore itself to its former healthy state.
Because of this minute dose of the active ingredient remedies do not result in any side-effects and are not addictive. Thus, homeopathy is particularly safe to use for babies, children, and pregnant and breastfeeding women.
This means that even though you may suffer from 5 seemingly different and unrelated complaints, only one remedy will be given. The remedy will be chosen to cover all your problems whether they be on a physical, mental, or emotional level.
HOW HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES WORK?
Homeopathic remedies work by stimulating the body’s own healing power to heal itself. The disease is the body’s expression of an imbalance in the life force and so by stimulating this healing power the body is able to heal and regain balance.
HOMEOPATHIC HEALING MECHANICS
The healing process can be compared to running a car. If you forget to turn the lights of your car off one night the next day your car battery will be flat. The only way to get the car moving again – the only cure – is to get a transfer of energy, in the form of a jump start from the battery of another car. Homeopathy is a bit like getting a jump start! The energy sources are the remedies used in accordance with the Law of Similar so that the body can run on all cylinders again.
The purpose of homeopathic treatment is to increase your vitality and to increase the body’s own resistance to disease and capacity for self-healing so that eventual infrequent treatment is required.
WHAT’S THE CATCH?
Unfortunately, in this modern-day hustle and bustle ‘Quick Fix’ is the buzzword. We often don’t set aside enough time to fulfill our health needs. Often the quickest and easiest, albeit not the best, route is sought. In the case of conventional medicine treatment often merely masks the problem at hand and does not eradicate it.
Unlike visiting your General Practitioner where the consultation may only last a couple of minutes prescribing the right homeopathic remedy takes a bit more time and patience.
A homeopathic consultation will take up to an hour and a half for the first consultation and about 45 minutes for a follow-up consultation.
This is because the remedy chosen for prescription needs to be exact and will be one remedy chosen from thousands of different remedy choices available to the homeopath. There is no such thing as a standard homeopathic migraine remedy (though, sadly that doesn’t mean no such product is sold). The remedy you take has to be matched to your particular migraine – where it occurs, what brings it on, what type of pain it is, what aggravates it what makes it feel worse, your state of mind, and what different symptoms your expertise.